Cleveland put up a five-spot off Jonathon Niese in the opening act and the Mets could never recover, falling to the Indians 9-4.
The Bad Stuff:
- Jon Niese was ineffective through six innings, allowing six runs (five earned, but the error was his) on five hits, walking two and striking out five on 108 pitches. The damage in the first two frames as Nick Swisher led the way with a 1st-inning double and 2nd-inning home run.
- Asdrubal Cabrera's three-run homer off Scott Atchison in the 7th inning gave the Tribe the insurance it needed to put away the visitors from New York.
- Zack Lutz hit third. Need I say more?
- Justin Turner led the Mets on the offensive side, going 2-4 with a double and a pair of runs and RBIs.
- Matt den Dekker was 2-4 with an RBI.
- Eric Young went 1-2 with a run and another stolen base.
Zack Lutz should just never bat anywhere near the top of the order. Just...no. That is all.