The Good Stuff:
- Zack Wheeler continues to improve on the mound, as he allowed one run on six hits in 6.1 innings without allowing a walk, striking out four on 106 pitches.
- Juan Lagares got the scoring going with an opposite-field solo homer in the 4th inning. He finished the day 2-5 with another run and a stolen base.
- Wilmer Flores drove in another run in the 4th, singling home Ike Davis (after Ike's double) to make it 2-0. Later on, in the 8th, Flores again came through with a two-out, two-run single to give the NY bullpen a much-needed cushion.
- After Wheeler's departure, Scott Rice managed his way through the rest of the 7th unharmed, while Carlos Torres and Pedro Feliciano combined for a scoreless 8th and LaTroy Hawkins took care of the 9th for his third save.
- Uhh...the Arizona air is bad for chapped lips?
The Mets' youth movement keeps shining on in August, as Zack Wheeler, Wilmer Flores, and Juan Lagares led the team to bounce back from its tough loss last night. There isn't much else to be said, except Mets fans should be very excited for the next few years.