|Alex Rodriguez scored off a Robinson Cano triple in the Yankees 4-run sixth inning. (NYTimes.com)|
Jose Reyes left after the 2nd inning with tightness in his left hamstring and the Yankees rode a 4-run 6th past the Mets, all the way to a 5-2 victory, dropping the Mets, once again, under the .500 mark.
The Bad Stuff:
- The way Jose Reyes was playing, the only thing that could have stopped him was an injury. Well.Jose ran out an infield single to lead off the game, but appeared uncomfortable on the bag. He went out and completed the 2nd inning at short, turning a double play, but was taken out before the 3rd for "precautionary reasons." The good news is the tight hamstring was his left one, not the right one, which he's had troubles with in the past. But even with all those seemingly-harmless words, Mets fans can't help but get lumps in their throats and wonder, "What if he's done for the year?"
- Dillon Gee was cruising for 5 innings, then all of a sudden, a Curtis Granderson bomb put the first run on the board and rattled the rookie's nerves. After singles from Mark Teixeira and Alex Rodriguez, Robinson Cano put the Empire up 3-0 with a triple. Nick Swisher followed with a sac fly to cap a 4-run inning, effectively burying the home team. Eduardo Nunez added insurance in the 9th with a solo dinger off Tim Byrdak.
- The Met offense was completely helpless against Bartolo Colon, who pitched 6 innings of scoreless, 5-hit ball, walking none and striking out 6, in his first appearance since coming off the DL. The Amazin's' best chance to score came in the 5th when they loaded the bases with one out, but Gee was allowed to hit and promptly grounded into the threat-killing U5/5-3 double play.
- Despite the awful 6th, Gee was able to keep the Bronx Bombers off the board for a full 5 innings and finished a 7 inning outing with 7 strikeouts.
- The Mets were able to plate 2 in the 9th inning to avoid the shutout: Jason Bay and Lucas Duda hit into RBI groundouts.
Let's leave it at this: in a season full of sickening losses, this one takes the cake.
REYES UPDATE: Jose will undergo an MRI tomorrow on that left hamstring.